One Week Down, Many to go

February 20th, 2007

As of this very moment I’ve been living in Ukraine for 7 days and a couple of hours. The past week has been, to say the least, interesting.

Last night I went to bed at my usual time but woke up around 3:30 with some lovely stomach pain. As I described in my last posting the restaurant I went to for dinner seemed great. It looked a whole lot less interesting going out. Thankfully, as Heather points out, it was coming out “the bottom” instead of the same hole it went in. Not too bad though, I made it almost an entire week without having trouble with my food.

My 1.5mi walk to work each morning is becoming, as you can imagine, monotonous. Walk walk walk, avoid the puddle, walk walk, don’t get hit by the bus, walk walk, wow that’s a hole, walk walk walk walk walk walk [take a breath] walk walk walk walk walk walk walk walk walk.

Today I ate the lunch that is catered for us at the office. As usual I’m not sure what I ate. The “main course” was what I would call a seafood-meatloaf with mashed potatoes. The side dish was a salad consisting of mushrooms, some form of large bean, and then maybe beets? I don’t remember exactly.

This evening I was at the office until around 9:00pm. On a Tuesday night a majority of places for food are closed at this time. I stopped at what I’ve been calling a convenience store on the way home hoping to pick up some dinner. After waltzing around for a bit having only found really old, frozen potato pancakes I decided just to buy breakfast for tommorrow. I picked up some Nestle Kosmostars and some 3.5% milk (молоко). Unlike the last time I bought milk I actually knew what it was called. Whether or not I pronounced it properly is a different question. Then comes the how much it costs routine. I shake my head. She says it again. I shake my head. This was great. Instead of lolly-gagging around she just grabs a piece of paper and writes down the numbers. No problem. дякую (Thank you).

I decided not to eat the Kosmostars for dinner and braved the outside world to find an open restaurant. I was pleased to stumble across a cafe (remember this one: кафе) where they have “point to order” food. I pointed at something that looked an awful lot like what I had for lunch yesterday and some fries. Altogether this cost 38 UAH, around $8, not terribly cheap by Ukrainian standards and I don’t know why.

Entry Filed under: Ukraine

7 Comments Add your own

• 1. norcalvp  |  February 20th, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Awesome dude… I’ll keep reading about your wacky adventures when I can. When is Heather supposed to join you? Then you won’t have to eat alone anymore. :D

• 2. Bob  |  February 20th, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Heather’s flight departs on March, 12 and she arrives here on Tuesday afternoon. Only a few more weeks (though not even halfway there)!

• 3. Carleigh  |  February 21st, 2007 at 8:16 am

I am quite amused to read about your new adventures. It reminds me of something, I am not sure exactly what – but something (a book i have read in the past perhaps??) Anyway – I am glad to hear things are going along well. I would not do well alone abroad – and I admire your efforts (probably would have starved by this time in the trip unless the local grocery store had an endless supply of easy mac and popcorn) to find food and try out the local restaurants. I really enjoyed the photos, though the one of the dead bird was a little morbid.
    I am jealous of your opportunity for this experience, however, I am not jealous of the cold weather.

car

• 4. miradlo  |  February 22nd, 2007 at 2:03 am

I hope that Heather is going to make a costco trip before heading over there!! =)

• 5. Mom  |  February 22nd, 2007 at 8:51 am

Hi Bob,

What an adventure! With all that walking you can actually tell your children you walked 1.5 miles to work in the rain and snow and be telling the truth :)

There are only 19 days til Heather arrives. Sounds like you need to get one of your buddies there to take you a real grocery store (if there is such a thing) and start cooking at home. :)

• 6. Bob  |  February 22nd, 2007 at 11:20 am

Well I went to the real grocery store last week and I bought the frozen potato pancakes. I thought I wrote about this, maybe not. Suffice it to say that I nearly ruined a pan attempting to fry these without any oil :)

• 7. Mike  |  February 25th, 2007 at 11:33 am

Sounds like bigtime culture shock!

Speaking of culture shock, Nicole dragged me out to the opera tonight to see Chris perform. It was actually pretty cool, and I felt pretty young in that room full of people. :)

Calendar